Saturday, December 4, 2010

bhakta web design

Evil-ution

In line with the nature of my blogs which so often begin with one intention and end up somewhere else, the reinvention of this Webtide blog seems to be veering off towards a Web-bhakti flavour. OK, no problem, let Krsna decide what happens.

Nevertheless, Webtide was originally a web design and web development blog yet so much is changing in the world of the web professional, for a start I've retired from the game of web designer, closed down Tweed Web Design, taken down the website, dot com dot au bye bye, and "put my feet up".

Well, actually, as a labour of love, I have begun redesigning Sevamrta dot com as a completely Srila Gour Govinda Swami website with a totally new design and much new content, and also have a few other projects up my sleeve, as well as my work on good old Ananda Samvada which I do for my friend Janeshwarji.

I'll probably bail out on the MCC site soon as it's not quite my mood these days.

What you didn't want you'll get in the end

Because so much is now "fast tracked" in the world of web design, I mean, why reinvent the wheel when resources are a dime a dozen (and a good thing I might add, I mean wasn't there so much garish trash gracing the annals of the www?).

There's little need to create xhtml/css designs from the ground up, so now, as I was saying to my friend Tim the other day, it's all the stuff from the web diploma course that I thought I didn't need to know that has become the most valuable.


Houston we have access

Stuff like accessibility, usability and information architecture. In the days of the "off the shelf CMS" these skills, especially the latter are invaluable.

Of course you'll still need your xhtml/css knowledge (plus some solid scripting skills wouldn't go astray) if you want anything other than the "out of the box" results, but I guess it's your hand coding ability combined with skills like accessibility and info arch that make all the difference between the ordinary Joe in the street, with a copy of "Joomla for Dummies", and a true web professional.

Oh, and a good debugger.

Whaddayareckon?

Joy to all beings
tkd

No comments: