Sunday, December 5, 2010

Him good fella

In the days of yore

In 1979 my family and I lived on a little farm on one of those roads that run off Booralong Road, Armidale. We had wonderful neighbours, all very helpful to each other, the man across the road was a geophysicist who spent every summer in Antarctica. Fascinating bloke. We'd often travel up to the University in his Mini Moke, me freezing my butt off whilst he seemed impervious to the cold. Armidale winter must have been like summertime to him.

The most interesting neighbour by far was Herb who lived across Redgum Lane. Herb and his family were a group of Aboriginals who squatted in some old buildings down the lower end of a sheep station, no electricity, gas, nuffin'; the grazier seemed content with them being there.

Herb's family often walked across our farm on the way to town. Didn't worry me, they weren't doing any harm, thus I got to know them. Herb was in his sixties then and became a kinda father figure to me, his family were like my family and many a lazy day was spent in front of the fire with Herb and Ira "busy drinking tea" as Ira used to say.

Humble belongings


Herb taught me many things, not the least of which was that we belonged to each other. He was my kind of people. Simple hearted, good natured, friendly and honest (well, to his friends), there are some people you just can't trust.

I belonged to those people and they belonged to me. Still do. Like I said, they're my kind of people, that won't change.

GGGM AGM

At a recent AGM of the GGGM, presumably to appease the government, the agenda dealt with continuing the temple building project. Yet somehow I think that the whole temple building project has been misunderstood.

Firstly it should be noted that the management committee governing the community is doing a fine job of managing the affairs of building a temple building for the community's use. I recommend that the same committee members be permitted continuity to facilitate their work in this regard.

I am, however, not pleased by some managerial choices that have occurred outside of the actual temple construction execution.


Kicking goals

Srila Gurudeva so often says "Know your goal". I have my doubts that some of the Moo Baa yatra actually think about such things.

So often we need to question the purpose of our activities and our actions.

Back in the days of Herb and his people, I was studying Agricultural Economics. After three years of study of making economic decisions, the goal of which being, effectively, to maximise wellbeing, I discontinued my discipline and went to live on a hippie farm because I felt that didn't fit in with the exploitative mentality of the faculty of economics.

That's not to say that I didn't learn anything of value, I did. In fact the decision to discontinue was, ironically, a cost-benefit analysis exercise in itself, because, as one professor taught me, "The value of anything is in it's utility". I simply couldn't see myself fitting into a community of exploiters for the rest of my working life. Ultimately I didn't fit in at the hippie farm either because people came from the city and brought their dog eat dog city mentality with them.


Can't take nonsense back to Godhead.

Something similar is happening in our spiritual life. If we are to achieve our goal, we first have to understand what our goal is, and why it is that we want to build a temple. To please Srila Gurudeva? Somehow I think that an empty temple will not please Srila Gurudeva.

Whatever happened to the days when people were so enthusiastic that they'd take a day off work to attend a temple meeting and go to work when sick because we'd used up all of our sick pay going to important temple events, hearing from visiting Maharaja's, feasts, etc?

What's the point of
pointlessness.

Which brings me to the point of this blog entry. Only 12 persons were in attendance at the AGM, many who didn't attend didn't have pressing business, they simply didn't have any other reason for non-attendance other that the fact that they felt dis-empowered and uncomfortable by the events of the preceding AGM.

My own humble opinion of this is that it really is such an offence to feel that it's more important to build a temple than a community. Why build a temple at all if you've never understood the purpose of the building?

Reconciliation is not just for Aborigines.

Before I begin in earnest, let it be said that I am apolitical, I belong to neither group and have no interest in associating with politically minded persons other than occasionally to chant and hear hari katha to please Srila Gurudeva, as appropriate. Mostly I keep to myself as I wonder if I fit into this community, less disturbing that way. I have my faults, and may well be criticised for them, but criticism is never recommended by intelligent persons.

Herein, I have no desire to criticise anyone, SB 1.17.22 describes what happens to those who criticise. I merely wish for those involved to reconsider their choices in this matter of alienation within the community.

I strongly urge you to change the mood of the direction in which our community is heading.

The "governing" of our community should always proceed in a Vaisnavaly fashion. Again, further along, SB 1. 17. 32 describes leadership by those who lack brahminical qualities. Indeed the Mahabharata, the story in the background of the Bhagavad Gita focuses on irresponsible government.

In other places within Srimad Bhagavatam the results of inappropriate social management are reported. See for example the story of King Venu. Acceptance of power over the affairs of our Srila Gurudeva's children carries a huge responsibility.

In true vaisnava fashion, the most important item on the AGM agenda once it was revealed why some people didn't attend, should have been "How to reconcile with our brothers and sisters". This whole affair is madness. Nothing sets people apart more than those with political power ignoring the needs of those within their constituency.


Spiritual life is NOT dog eat dog.

Every time I read Srila Gurudeva's books or lecture transcriptions or when I personally hear his divine wisdom, he speaks about loving and kindness. I feel so attracted by this. Gurudeva you are my kind of people. And by default Sri Sri Radha Krsna, Srimati Tulasi devi, all of our guru varga and so many of the wonderful devotees I have had the great fortune to share part of my life with ... you are my kind of people.

How we can even think of entertaining the thought of a temple project while alienating our own brethren is tantamount to madness. Again the old economics principles of yore make me wonder who can benefit from such an evil anartha? In short, nobody. Not the offenders and not the offended.

Amanina manidena.

Whilst I recognise that we shouldn't demand respect for ourselves, I can understand the need for people to give respect. What I mean here is: nobody needs your respect, but YOU NEED TO GIVE RESPECT. Without it any devotee's spiritual life is in tatters. It becomes a pointless exercise.

Meet my mad family.

After preaching to people we have met, we now have the opportunity to say, "Now that you know a little about krsna and the purpose of life would you like to come back to our temple and meet a whole bunch of people who intensely dislike each other but carry on the facade of being devotees, being more interested in politics than krsna?".

I am aware that there are many very good people within our community, some of whom I even think of as siksa gurus and spiritual mentors, so I apologise if I sound a little disgruntled; it's because of those who don't care about the alienation of the current members of our community. They certainly won't attract loving people into the yatra. I know that these really aren't my kind of people.

Back to Herb and Ira

We need a sense of belonging to each other within our yatra, otherwise it will be many, many lifetimes before we get to the lotus feet of krsna (if at all, think of the risk involved here, my prabhus and didis), at least not until we begin to get off the mental platform and begin to think with our hearts instead of following the jaded old defunct ideas within the stupid mind.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is not the same as doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. Think about that and you'll soon understand who is who within our yatra.


We need to think this whole thing through and know the goal of our endeavors and make decisions accordingly; life is not about us, it's about krsna, so please soften your heart and leave any dog eat dog mentality at the door as you come in. It has no place in krsna's samsara.

Joy to all beings
tkd

No comments: